Using Tripods 7C’s these are the two areas I am honing my focus on this year:
- Captivate: I try to make my lessons relevant to students’ lives and the world outside of school.
This has always been important to me and something that I started last year with changes that we made to the Polymer Project. Making class content relevant to the students and connecting it as much as possible to their lives and the world outside of school helps students engage fully in class content.
As much as possible I want to link topics in class to current events and change projects or assessments to reflect this.
- Clarify: Create timely feedback on where students are right now.
Giving students feedback after a summative assessment is often ignored. This year I want to focus on responding to formative checks faster and in a way that is easy to share with the students.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self-assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7Cs)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!