This will be my first blog post ever, so here goes nothing! This year, I have decided to focus my professional goal on CAPTIVATE and CONSOLIDATE. As a learning support teacher in the upper elementary school, it is critical that I a) engage my students in meaningful and authentic learning as much as possible and b) reinforce taught concepts to ensure understanding. For many of the students that I work with, learning, attention and behavior can present a spectrum of challenges, particularly when the task at hand may be feel tedious. This year, school has decided to adopt the Wilson Reading Program as our school wide reading intervention. My personal goal is linked to our team goal by implementing a tier three reading intervention program for students in G3 with identified reading disabilities. As a team we have chosen The Wilson Reading System as the UES reading intervention program. The Wilson program is designed to consistently review and summarize previously taught skills, and because students must demonstrate mastery of the steps taught before moving on to new learning, this goal will focus on me working to consolidate students understanding.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!