The results are in from the first student survey. I have questions about the validity and accuracy of the responses for the following reasons:
- The students were confused about some questions because I am a support teacher and come into their classroom
- Some of the questions, especially the negatively worded questions seem to be confusing for a class where many are still learning English
Putting those concerns aside, I looked at my areas of strength and weaknesses. My goal of Confer was one of my highest scores with 89% and 78% positive responses for both questions. Two of my weakest areas based on the survey were Clarify and Consolidate.
Based on the responses of the students, they seem to know that I care about them and I value their thoughts and ideas. These are two essential components to having successful conferences with students. I now want to focus on the next part of conferences in providing the students with the differentiated instruction. Since the students trust me to tell me their thinking, now I need to clarify what they need to do to become better readers and writers.
As a new year brings new goals, I thought about what I wanted to accomplish this year as an EAL teacher and how I could best assist students at various levels. My third grade team chose to focus on implementing Reader’s Workshop. The EAL team chose conventions instruction to coordinate with Writer’s workshop. In order to incorporate my team goals while best serving the needs of my individual students I decided to focus on the following goal:
Confer: to work collaboratively in improving conferences with students during Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop
By conferring with students I can learn their needs as a individual learners and then form strategy groups or apply other instructional techniques.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!