I originally selected Consolidate as my area of growth for this school year. While this is my 12th year of teaching, I continue to struggle with summarizing learning at the end of a lesson. I get caught up conferring with students, answering questions, reviewing homework, etc. and forget the very important element of summarizing learning. It turns out, that my student agree with me. Consolidate was the area with my worst results:
Several students feel like I do not take the time to summarize what they’ve learned, and they are right. I’ve tried using timers to keep me on track, I keep a blackboard configuration with learning targets hoping that I’ll refer to them at the end of class, and I always intend to make a Google Slide for the end of class with a summary of learning, but somehow I always manage to miss that part of the lesson.
I’m hoping with this being my focus for professional growth, I’m able to find a practical way to ensure that I summarize learning at the end of each lesson. I’m open to any suggestions!
After reflecting on the 7Cs Framework of Effective Teaching, I’ve determined that my professional goal for the 2019-20 should be on consolidating learning. According to Tripod, “Teachers who consolidate help students integrate and synthesize key ideas. They summarize and make connections in ways that help students see relationships within and across lessons, remember ideas, and build understanding over time.”
It is a challenge for me to plan lessons where I have time to summarize learning at the end of the block; I tend to run out of time without realizing it. I need to make summarizing learning and making meaningful connections between lessons a priority in my teaching.
This goal may change after student surveys reveal my strengths and areas to improve as a teacher.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!