My goal is to improve in the Tripod 7C area of “Confer” by better encouraging and valuing my students’ ideas and views in the science classroom and during mentoring time.
Message to Students: “I invite, welcome, and respect your ideas and feedback.”
I want to work primarily on inviting students to share their ideas and opinions.
- I try to do this, but usually in the large classroom group.
- There are not often a diverse group of volunteers. It’s always the same few students.
- I feel that I rush the sharing of ideas because I always feel like we need to move on to the next agenda item in order to “fit everything in”
I plan to:
- Do more small group discussion-based activities. Students are more hesitant to share in a larger groups
- Promote respectful peer interactions so that students are encouraged to have more “academic courage”.
- Invite students to share views on how best to structure classroom activities
- Incorporate more peer feedback on assessments
Link to resources for classroom strategies for promoting good discussion.
Remind Myself: Slow down, stop talking, start listening
Vanessa Brantley Newton. https://medium.com/google-design/stop-talking-start-listening-7a555ec8ebb1
Shiloh Sophia McCloud. https://fineartamerica.com/featured/listening-shiloh-sophia-mccloud.html
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!