The area I will focus on is CHALLENGE because the Readers and Writers Workshop is scripted and geared to the ‘middle’ and is based on an American Curriculum using vocabulary and questions aimed at a westernized culture. I’m selecting CHALLENGE so I can ensure that I am engaging competent readers who might struggle with learning the very basics of a phonics or reading program, whilst also supporting students with little or no English who need extra scaffolds.
My plan is to incorporate reading literature that is challenging to a student at any level. The selection of books should be interesting to the reader and be at or slightly above the reading level. Other types of books will be utilized to encourage other strategies or areas of focus.
I have a few students that are inclined to ‘the bare minimum’ so it’s important for me to challenge the students to stretch themselves. Hence, the C for Challenge!
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self-assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7Cs)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!