After reading through the Tripod student survey results, it was good to know that the students’ perception of consolidation coincided with my own. This is definitely an area on which I need to work. My highest in the “unfavorable 2” category was 23% and was in summarizing the learning we do each day.
Some areas I need to improve in are:
- knowing if something is bothering students
- trying to understand how students feel about things
- knowing when students don’t understand
- explaining in a different way when students don’t understand
- teaching students how to correct their mistakes
- taking the time to summarize what we learn each day
- expecting students to behave a certain way
Strategies I could use:
- exit tickets to summarize our learning
- periodic check-ins during class to assess understanding
- trying different ways of explaining topics
- more personal check-ins to see how students are feeling
My strengths are:
- challenging the students
- allowing students to share thoughts and ideas
- making learning enjoyable
- clarifying ideas
7Cs Professional Growth Goal: Consolidate
- Review and summarize lessons to help make learning coherent and memorable.
Which of the 7Cs will you work on this year? Why?
- Summarize big ideas at the end of lessons and review them periodically
- Ask students to summarize and synthesize what they are learning
I think that I need to be better at reviewing big ideas throughout the year and helping the students do the same.
||Evidence of Completion (deliverable showing completion of action step)
||Will be completed by (date)
|Determine what the big ideas are
||Clear unit essential questions and essential understandings
|Incorporate summary and synthesis in lesson plans
||lesson plans, unit plans
|Have students produce summary and synthesis of learning
||Student summary of big ideas
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!