For the remainder of this year, I want to look closely at the ways I clarify concepts and techniques with students. Hopefully there will be opportunities during upcoming science and engineering units to gather useful student feedback. Some of the ways I want to examine my practice:
I need to pay closer attention to the words I use. Is my vocabulary too advanced for Grades 3-5? Is my terminology consistent with what students hear and see in homerooms? Should I bring more Mandarin into my instruction?
In what ways should I adapt the slides, images and video I use in my teaching to ensure my instruction is as clear and accessible as possible?
How can I improve the way skills and techniques are demonstrated to students in real time?
With these questions in mind, I intend to take some time reflecting, talking to students and teachers and considering some of the improvements I might be able to make to the ways I clarify concepts and techniques with students.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!