Reflections on the 2nd week providing online lessons for our students and other considerations:
At our leadership meeting last week, Clarissa had us look at a document about the most important Cs for this online learning platform and those are Care, Collaborate, Clarify, and Captivate. I want to praise my team for the outstanding care and collaboration they have been doing in order to give captivating lessons that continue to move our curriculum forward in a clear manner.
While we all feel that those Cs are important, and they certainly guide our work, it’s not lost on me that the learning curve is great when it comes to producing these lessons. As we continue eLearning, we are improving the format and getting better at dealing with technology issues.
Pouring through student submissions is getting more streamlined the more we know about Seesaw. It’s great to not only schedule assignments to go out on certain dates and times, it’s much easier to label the assignment “Performing Arts” and go into the assignment to check work. Otherwise, you are literally pouring over hundreds of posts that aren’t yours. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy seeing student work from various classes.
Seeing student work is delightful. I miss facilitating active music making with the children. It’s fun to see what they are doing at home for music class.
From student submissions, it has become very obvious that some lesson activities are better than others in developing successful student work. I taught two melodic lessons last week (in 3rd and 5th grades) and the student work was, generally, unsuccessful. If I were in the classroom teaching the same melodies, I would go slowly at the beginning. I would make sure that they are listening and not singing with me. I would wait until I hear mastery before moving to a new melodic phrase or more complex element of the song. But when they get the lesson at home and I have no idea how they are actually learning, I received many versions of out of tune singing, some speaking voices, or melodies that are nowhere close to what I sent out. Based on those student Seesaw posts, I created extension videos at the end of the week to try to improve their learning of the melodies.
In choir, we know that the first way we introduce a new song, it is crucial that we A. know the melody correctly and B. have a lesson plan for how to concisely process the learning of the melody. If you teach it incorrectly the first time, the singers will learn it incorrectly. Then it becomes very difficult to fix it.
So this concerns me. I don’t want them learning new songs incorrectly at home. This informed our new lessons for 5th grade. We will minimize what songs they learn. David and I also decided that we will have them learn one new song in the new “modes” unit that we are in and then I will perform another song just to give them an example.
This week, we are pushing out one longer lesson, which is a shift from the mini lessons that we sent out each rotation day for the specific classes. We are also collaborating in a different way by having one person deliver that longer lesson. It’s an easier way to teach a complete process, instead of splitting up the process between the co-planning teachers. Hopefully it will be a better process for students and reduce their screen time and number of Seesaw posts to make and upload.
I will include some pictures from the second week of eLearning.
The journey continues.