I have chosen ‘Challenge’ with a focus on academic press because students with learning differences often struggle with anxiety and low confidence which often impacts their ability and motivation to persevere, limiting opportunity to reach their full potential. Focusing on growth mindset, building resilience and confidence will help students to persevere when challenged. Honestly, I feel that I do encourage students when they are resistant because they think something is too hard, or it is not good enough. BUT….. I want to do a better job. I have to do a better job. In a world that is fast becoming stressful for young children, the task of building resilience and perseverance becomes more challenging. Children are exposed to adult issues e.g. climate change, family issues, pressure and pressure to perform beyond what is developmentally appropriate. All this causes anxiety and stress which interferes with learning and a child’s ability to persevere. I want to learn new research based strategies to support student to become independent learners who are self-aware, resilient and persevere when challenged.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!