Good classroom management can help make sure students engage in class activities and enjoy the class without disruption, meanwhile, make the lessons more efficient. Last year, I had challenges in managing some classes partially due to the large student number in a language class. I have considered it as an opportunity for improvement, which is also why I have chosen Classroom Management for my 7C’s goal setting system.
At the beginning this year, I have talked about setting up class agreements by having discussions together with my students in each class. They came up with norms that are expected and behaviors that are not acceptable in the Chinese classroom. We made them into posters, signed names and posted them in the classroom. Whenever the students did something as expected in the class agreements, I use positive reinforcement. But whenever there were signs of students not behaving properly according to the agreement, I would point at the specific agreement item to remind them. Having an agreement at the beginning of the school year and keeping its consistency prove to be very useful.
As the year goes on, I will keep exploring more strategies for effective classroom management and reflecting on them.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!