It was great to read about how ISB approaches student development, student learning, curriculum development, assessment, and more. I’m excited to join a school with such progressive and well-planned goals, and the ISB philosophy is in line with what I have been practicing thus far in my teaching career. I have much to improve upon, especially when it comes to Backwards Design (something I always strive towards, but sometimes feel like I don’t have enough time for) and aligning student assessment with other teachers that I will be collaborating with. I have been the only one teaching my subjects for the last 6 years or so, so I am looking forward to working closely with colleagues again.
My greatest takeaways are that ISB is well-organized and the faculty are highly motivated to bring the best of their teaching to students. I hope that I will continue to grow as an educator and take risks to try new things at this school. I am pleased to see there is a foundation for online/remote teaching, in case of any emergency situations; Flipgrid appears very advanced and useful!
I am very excited to be in Beijing, exploring the rich history, culture, and language here. Not to mention eating all the Chinese noodles and a variety of baked goods to my heart’s content! It feels luxurious to have access to many international cuisines as well.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self-assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7Cs)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!