I think that online and blended learning requires much more frontloading of resources and the cultivation of an organized online classroom, and I’ve tried to frontload as much as I can this summer while still being ready to mold my classroom and methods as needed.
As challenging as eLearning has been, at least we are fortunate enough to have experienced eLearning during the spring semester so we can approach this new year with practiced ideas and innovation to enhance learning. Personally in my classroom, I would like to focus on care and clarify out of the 5Cs. I think teachers should always work to show students they care; I also think that it is crucial to be clear and clarify information when online. I enjoy learning from my colleagues’ examples and feel that the more willing we are to collaborate, the greater the online experience will be for both teachers and students.
As far as my goal, I aim to start the year by focusing on flexibility; it is inevitable that the styles and methods of learning will need to change and adapt as our circumstances change and adapt, and I want to be ready for it!
Online Learning Planner MSHS (2)
Upon receiving the results of the survey, I think it is important to focus on care. I chose my most challenging class because I thought it would expose more areas to build on, so the results were actually better than expected. Yet, they still don’t satisfy me and care as the lowest surprised me. Even though I know I care about my students deeply, the survey shows that they are only somewhat understanding/feeling that care. I do not want to be “about average” in caring (or anything for that matter, but one step at a time). So I will focus on customizing support for specific learning needs, building relationships, and being more responsive to emotional needs so all of my students feel cared about.
My survey data also indicates that most students feel challenged and that they are able to share their ideas. These are the areas with the most green. Secondary areas to build upon include captivating and clarifying. Though I still see a lot of green here, it is not as prevalent. I would like to focus on these areas and “care” going forward.
I’ve included a snapshot of “care” to show the variety of opinions on whether or not I am meeting this need for my students, and also as a way to motivate myself to see ALL dark green. 🙂
In August, I set my individual goal for this school year to develop all of the 7Cs with a particular focus on clarifying and consolidating.
Too often, my lessons do not finish on time because when my students get going (by demonstrating engagement), I find it difficult and disruptive to stop that momentum. As a result, I often skip or rush through the consolidating part of reviewing and connecting. This is an essential part of building lasting understanding, and I need to be more conscientious about my time management as well as what I prioritize.
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7C’s)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!