- What action(s) might you take in order to prepare for online and blended learning?
- To better prepare for online learning, I will try more online teaching software and platforms, and choose the most suitable ones for different classes and activities to serve particular teaching needs.
Also, as a high school teacher, I am familiar with some essential functions of DX and have been using DX for years. However, this year, teachers are expected to use DX features more widely and more standardized, such as providing feedback on homework for students through DX, cyclic posting on DX, and so on. Therefore, I need to spend some time exploring new features that I haven’t used in DX before, so that I can adequately prepare for the new school year.
Besides, each lesson shortened from 80 minutes to 60 minutes will also bring challenges to teachers. I hope that I can brainstorm and discuss with my colleagues during the CFL meetings to improve teaching efficiency and ensure the quality of teaching within the limited teaching time.
- Considering your previous experience with online learning, what are your instructional strengths & areas for growth?
- In last year’s online teaching, I set clear COLO for each lesson and provided students with sufficient face-to-face teaching opportunities. Timely feedback on assignments and assessments is given both verbally and written. In addition, I showed great concern for both student’s academic performance and mental health during online learning.
Of course, in online teaching, I still have many areas that hope to improve and explore. For example, I hope to design some novel and engaging activities while improving teaching efficiency. Besides, how to strengthen the cooperation and connection between students in online learning is also the part I hope to enhance this year.
- Using the 5Cs of online learning, what goals might you set for yourself in anticipation of future online instruction?
- My goal this year is to clarify. I think it consists of two parts. First of all, one new expectation for teachers is to post cycle overview, assignments, and tasks per 8-day cycle, which requires me to plan the teaching content carefully, and work closely with and communicate with the teachers who teach the same course. Moreover, I think clarifying is also reflected in every class, and I hope to help students understand the content and resolve the confusion through explain clearly, check for understanding, and provide constructive feedback.
- How might you achieve these goals? Who might you reach out to for support?
- My fantastic colleagues from the Chinese department are first into my mind. The experience of online learning in the past few months has made our team more cohesive and collaborative. Apart from that, I will also approach my CAL, Chuyu, when necessary. Moreover, reviewing the goal frequently and rethinking my teaching while making corresponding improvements will also help me achieve my goal more smoothly.