- What action(s) might you take in order to prepare for online and blended learning?
In order to prepare the new school year during the current situation, I will be more familiar with the technology tools for online lesson such as seesaw, screen-o-matic as well as zoom for each student and help them learn. Since I’m a new hire and locate in Beijing, I will work collaboratively with my team, teachers who are overseas and team members in Beijing. Also learn from them and collaborate with instructional parters to facilitate learning.
- Considering your previous experience with online learning, what are your instructional strengths & areas for growth?
Areas for Growth: work with technology tools: flip grid, zoom, seesaw / develop engaging lesson with younger students/ be familiar with school routine
- Using the 5Cs of online learning, what goals might you set for yourself in anticipation of future online instruction?
Care: caring for students and team members. I always believe students will learn more when they feel safe, secure and supported in the environment. I will spend time with students, listen and interact to build a supportive relationship throughout the school year.
Captivate: try to be creative for online lesson and keep the learning fun
Online Learning Weekly Planner ES PE 1st module page copy 5
- What was your biggest ah-ha moment during this online orientation experience?
I would like to say my biggest ah-ha moment is not for specific unit or module, it’s through out the whole orientation. There is always something new in each unit about the curriculum, the vision of ISB, the system and the structure. It provides opportunity for me to know the school better during the current circumstance.
- How might this online orientation experience impact teaching & learning in your classroom?
I feel like the orientation provides detailed and practical knowledge and tools that is necessary in the future teaching practice like seesaw and microsoft 365. And it helps me to understand the expectation and my responsibilities at ISB.
- What are you most excited about for your upcoming ISB/China adventure?
I’m so excited to start working at ISB and start to know my new colleagues. Based on this online orientation, I can feel that ISB is a very origanized school where everyone collabrates with each other closely. I can’t wait to be back to school and contribute to the community.
- How might your experiences & beliefs align with ISB’s?
I feel like my beliefs align with ISB’s. We both value each student’s voice and focus on assisting all children to make progress in relation to their development. We believe in all children’s capacities to succeed and respect diversity.
- Which of the 7 Cs do you feel are among your strengths? What data makes you say that?
Care is probably one of my strengths amoung 7Cs. I believe supportive relationship is essential to student’s learning. When students feel safe, secure and supported in the classroom they start to trust each other. They feel their ideas and opinions are being valued and they feel themselves as a valued member in the class. This also helps students to grow confidence to explore and learn. I like spending time to listen and talk with my students. It helps me more to understand their throughts and challenges they might be facing or they have no one to share with.
- Which of the 7 Cs do you feel are among your areas for growth? What data makes you say that?
As this year is my first year working as a PE teacher in ISB, classroom management is the area that I need to pay more attention on. I want students to feel joyful, active and inclusive but on the other hand, I understand the ‘tricky’ part when it’s related to sports and games.
The professional growth model I have encountered before is named ‘My time, Our place’ framework for school age care which is similiar’ to the Tripod’s 7Cs framework. It aims to assist educators to provide children with opportunities to maximise their potential and develop a foundation for future success in life. Both frameworks recognize the importance of social and emotional development and communication in learning and also, highlight the important role that teacher play in facilitate children’s learning. This figure is a diagram showing the relationship between outcomes, principles and practice in the framework. Some of the elemets are overlapping within the Tripod’s 7Cs framework.
However, I am excited to learn a new framework that provides specific teaching and reflecting meaurement especially it is important for teachers to receive feedback from students’ voices.
- What questions might you have?
As the professional growth reflection lasts for the whole school year, will there be a review reflection session from each aspect before the first semester ends?
Welcome to your Professional Learning Blog! This is a place for you to post your goals, and reflect on them throughout the year.
- Decide on your goal, perhaps in consultation with your colleagues or principal, and create a post to share with this online professional learning community that you are now a part of! Categorise this post in Goal Setting. Set your goal by considering:
- Self-assessment and reflection based on new teacher standards (Tripod 7Cs)
- Previous or new observation data from peers and principals
- Student surveys (online surveys developed and aligned with 7C’s)
- Identify colleagues, coaches, principals etc. that will play a supporting role in achieving your goal, and invite them to view and comment on your post. Encourage them to bookmark your blog and visit regularly.
- Throughout the year, collect and share evidence to support your progress. Categorise these posts in Reflection.
- Encourage your colleagues to share your learning journey by engaging with your blog. In return, engage with their blog (and others across the School)
- You may also like to share work that your students have created or your own professional achievements that may not be directly related to your goal setting. This is encouraged! Categorise these posts as Showcase.
If you need support using this platform, please don’t hesitate to contact Ed Tech, we are always happy to be of assistance!